Gothic Bike Tour
Explore Barcelona built centuries ago
The Gothic Bike tour takes you through the most important sights of the Gothic quarter in Barcelona, discover its history from the Roman times to the medieval period. This is a tour for small groups of maximum 9 people as we cycle through the small squares and narrow streets of the Gothic quarter.
It is highly recommended for those who have no time to walk around the Gothic quarter and do not want to leave Barcelona without exploring it.
Some of the highlights you’ll discover in the Gothic Bike Tour with BikeTours Barcelona:
• Born area with the “Catedral del Mar” (Santa Maria del Mar Church, the best Barcelona Gothic Style) and the Old Central market. Below the market there are the remains of the medieval city (s XIV to XVIII) that Felipe V destroyed to build a military citadel and now this space is a museum and cultural center space
• The Cathedral de la Santa Creu i Santa Eulàlia reflects the different generations who have left their imprint and the blend of architectural styles in this predominantly Gothic building
• Plaça del Rei (“King’s Square”) is a 14th-century medieval public square. The royal palace, the Palau Reial Major, and its surrounding buildings, enclose a harmonious and peaceful square which is still imbued with Barcelona’s splendor during the Middle Ages
• Plaça Sant Jaumehas been the city’s political center almost since its inception.The square is the site of the most important buildings in the lives of Barcelona and Catalonia: City Hall and the Palau de la Generalitat
• PlaçaReial(“Royal square), the elegant ambiance of this beautiful porticoed square is accentuated by the fountain, streetlamps and palm trees, and it is one of Barcelona’s busiest, most vibrant spots, particularly at night
• Columbus monument & view of the Ramblas, the most popular avenue
• Port Vell,the old Barcelona’s harborstretches from the Columbus Monument to the Barceloneta, offers endless possibilities to enjoy your leisure time, such as l’Aquàrium or Maremàgnum, amongst others. Following a long historic process, the Port Vell, with its landmark buildings and monuments, now gleams like one of the most valuable pearls on the Mediterranean coast
• Barceloneta, the friendly atmosphere of the fascinating fishermen’s quarter, where locals use to go
• Olympic Village & Olympic Port, created for the Olympic games in 1992
• Ciutadella Park, the biggest park of the city. In 1869, the demolition of the military citadel, built a century earlier by Philip V, was highly significant for a boom Barcelona with its sights firmly set on the 1888 Universal Exhibition. The result was a park which the architect Josep Fontseré adapted to the need of the world fair.
Relics of the exhibition can still be seen today in the Parc de la Ciutadella
• The Arc de Triumph was built as the gateway to the fair, which was held in the Parc de la Ciutadella in 1888, when Barcelona hosted the Universal Exhibition
The bike tour is suitable for all ages, you will mostly get around on bike lanes and pedestrian areas, and our bicycles are very comfortable and easy to use.
You will also have the time to take beautiful photos during the stops for the explanations.
Choose the date, starting time, number of people, language and let us know other requirements you may have in the comments field of the reservation form or sending ane-mail. We will get in touch ASAP to confirm all the details.
- If you prefer an e-Bike (electric bike), please contact us to check availability.
- If you need helmets, please request them in the reservation form.
English • French • German • Dutch • Spanish • Catalan, italian and others (upon request)
Professional guides • Bicycle rental • Liability insurance
WHAT TO BRING
Comfortable clothing • Raincoat (in case of rain) • Sun protection
The tour will take place rain or shine