Parks and Beaches Bike Tour
It is a unique alternative to traditional sightseeing
This Bike Tour will lead you discover areas of Barcelona city you wouldn’t have known on foot. In a relaxed, secure, didactic and fun way you will explore a very important part of our city, combining the history of the old Born quarter and the Ciutadella Park with a pleasant bike ride along the sea front, avoiding cycling through the narrow, crowded streets of the Gothic quarter.
Some of the areasyou’ll discover in the Parks and Beaches Bike Tour with BikeTours Barcelona:
• Born area with the “Catedral del Mar” (Santa Maria del Mar Church, the best Barcelona Gothic Style) and the Old Central market. Below the market there are the remains of the medieval city (s XIV to XVIII) that Felipe V destroyed to build a military citadel and now this space is a museum and cultural center space
• Ciutadella Park, the biggest park of the city. In 1869, the demolition of the military citadel, built a century earlier by Philip V, was highly significant for a boom Barcelona with its sights firmly set on the 1888 Universal Exhibition. The result was a park which the architect Josep Fontseré adapted to the need of the world fair.
Relics of the exhibition can still be seen today in the Parc de la Ciutadella, with buildings such as the Castell dels Tres Dragons, which occupies the original restaurant designed for the exhibition by Domènech i Montaner, the waterfall and lake, designed by Fontseré, and the beautiful plant house, the Umbracle, and glass house, the Hivernacle. Barcelona zoo has stood on the other side of the park since 1892. The Catalan Parliament stands in the parade ground, in the former military arsenal of the citadel. Nearby, you can see a replica of Josep Llimona’s beautiful sculpture “El desconsol” (Distress), which is one of the most important pieces of public art in the park
• The Arc de Triumph was built as the gateway to the fair, which was held in the Parc de la Ciutadella in 1888, when Barcelona hosted the Universal Exhibition
• Olympic Village & Olympic Port, created for the Olympic games in 1992
• Barceloneta, the friendly atmosphere of the fascinating fishermen’s quarter, where locals use to go
• The beach forms an integral part of the neighborhood of the same name, la Barceloneta, Barcelona’s classic neighborhood by the sea, where the people of Barcelona love to come and eat fish, seafood and “tapas”. Enjoy the ride through the beach and the Port Vell
• Port Vell, the old Barcelona’s harbor stretches from the Columbus Monument to the Barceloneta, offers endless possibilities to enjoy your leisure time, such as l’Aquàrium or Maremàgnum, amongst others. Following a long historic process, the Port Vell, with its landmark buildings and monuments, now gleams like one of the most valuable pearls on the Mediterranean coast
And depending on the time we have we can also extend the tour and get to the monument to Columbus or arrive to the Forum, for example.
The bike tour is suitable for all ages, you will mostly get around on bike lanes and pedestrian areas, and our bicycles are very comfortable and easy to use.
You will also have the time to take beautiful photos during the stops for the explanations.
Choose the date, starting time, number of people, language and let us know other requirements you may have in the comments field of the reservation form or sending and e-mail. We will get in touch ASAP to confirm all the details.
- If you prefer an e-Bike (electric bike), please contact us to check availability.
- If you need helmets, please request them in the reservation form.
Carrer de l’Esparteria 3 (behind Santa María del Mar church, in the Born) – unless another place is specified
English • French • German • Dutch • Spanish •Catalan • Italian and others (upon request)
Professional guides • Bicycle rental • Liability insurance
WHAT TO BRING
Comfortable clothing • Raincoat (in case of rain) • Sun protection
The tour will take place rain or shine